1. The deepest or lowest part: the bottom of a well; the bottom of the page.
2. The part closest to a reference point: was positioned at the bottom of the key for a rebound.
3. The underside: scraped the bottom of the car on a rock.
4. The supporting part; the base.
5. The far end or part: at the bottom of the bed.
a. The last place, as on a list.
b. The lowest or least favorable position: started at the bottom of the corporate hierarchy.
7. The basic underlying quality; the source: Let's get to the bottom of the problem.
8. The solid surface under a body of water.
9. Low-lying alluvial land adjacent to a river. Often used in the plural. Also called bottomland.
a. Nautical The part of a ship's hull below the water line.
b. A ship; a boat: "English merchants did much of their overseas trade in foreign bottoms" (G.M. Trevelyan).
11. The trousers or short pants of pajamas. Often used in the plural.
12. Informal The buttocks.
13. The seat of a chair.
14. Baseball The second or last half of an inning.
15. Staying power; stamina. Used of a horse.
v. bot·tomed, bot·tom·ing, bot·toms
1. To provide with an underside.
2. To provide with a foundation.
3. To get to the bottom of; fathom.
1. To be or become based or grounded.
2. To rest on or touch the bottom.
To descend to the lowest point possible, after which only a rise may occur: Sales of personal computers have bottomed out.
[Middle English botme, from Old English botm.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Recently I have learned that some of you newbie BDSM-ers do not know the difference between a top or a bottom, fetishist, masochist, sadist...so I am going to begin with what you should be if you are contacting Me...
bottom-you are in the position of power lower to me. you take what I give you because I am in charge and in control. In the gay community it is usually referred to as the guy who gets fucked and not the other way around. I am a top/Domme/Fetishist--I don't bottom, and even if I did I am sure I'd try to call the shots...this is called "topping from the bottom" meaning that as you sit there with you ass eagerly wiggling in the air begging for a spanking, you are telling your top how "you want it", to "do it harder" or whining and trying to control the situation despite the fact you are the one in the compromising position.
Another interesting aspect is that if you read the definition most of it applies to the psychology of being a bottom or a sub/slave--you do come to us "to be or become based or grounded", and "the lowest, least favorable position". It is important to know the difference between being a fetishist who is a top--and one who is a bottom...You do not contact a Mistress and expect her to bottom for you, even if its just your foot fetish? You have to be aware of these things--they are part of who you are becoming as a kinkster--they will save you a ton of trouble though BDSM land...know thyself...
Now some awesome drag queens singing about bottoms...(Notice, just because you dress like a girl, doesn't mean you have to bottom). The feminine should no longer be seen as a sign of submission or weakness--rather of confidence and power.